Soy Muck - Carbs and Protein Increase Strength and Endurance for Athletes/Soldiers

'Soy Muck' - Sounds 'Yucky' but tastes great!

When I was in high school I used to run track (1/2 miler) and Cross-Country. At age 18 I learned of XC-Skiing so in my 20s I used to take part in marathons and XC-Ski races ('Cross-Country' skiing) throughout NY and the New England states.

I noticed many runners and skiers prepared for their races by 'carb-loading' with spaghetti and I tried that because I LOVED spaghetti - but THEY were eating it with butter - not tomato sauce. Now butter may be fine for toast and 'corn on the cob' but I really didn't care for it on pasta AND I Learned the HARD WAY you shouldn't eat tomato sauce before running long distances. Sure shocked the coach though when he sees a runner belching up red stuff though! ;-)

So, as I couldn't eat pasta plain, I switched to another high-carb food - rice.

I cooked-up a pot of Minute Rice and simply covered it with gravy and that gave me enough carbs to finish the races but I found other runners were also building muscle mass by eating a lot of protein - mostly in a plate of eggs.

Now I like 'Deviled-Eggs' but wasn't so fond of runny eggs or egg yolk so I needed another source of protein which didn't raise cholesteral but still built muscle mass. THAT'S when I learned about Soy protein.

I took some toasted soy beans but eating them wasn't so easy just prior to a race. So, I put them in a blender and ground them down to a fine powder and mixed that powder into the cooked rice and covered that with gravy.

Viola! I now had 'Soy Muck' - a mixture of soy (protein) and rice (carbs) and gravy to make the mixture go down easier.

As an added benefit; all that soy powder resulted in a lot of FIBER which cleaned out my digestive tract prior to the race making me a bit lighter while also providing me the energy and strength to run 15km on ice and snow, uphill and down while TRYING to stay in the track without 'catching a tip'.

So, take a box of Minute Rice (or any substitute), follow the instructions to cook as much as you like. Be careful NOT to make enough for 'leftovers' unless you have a 5lb sledge and a cold-chisel!

Get a bag of toasted (salt free!) soy beans and grind them down to a fine powder.

Sprinkle the soy powder and blend into the cooked rice.

Heat some gravy (beef, chicken, turkey, pork) and pour that onto the soy/rice mixture to the consistency you prefer.

There really are no set proportions because different people prefer different portions and consistency.

Word of caution though: Eat the mixture as fast as you can before it 'sets' - as in concrete.

Yes, if you leave 'Soy Muck' to cool too long it WILL become as hard as concrete and stick to whatever it comes into contact with - depending upon the amount of gravy used. More gravy = less hard - like brownies. Less gravy = rock hard.

Oh yeah, all that soy makes it taste like peanut butter and dogs LOVE it!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire