Drake's Cakes

Drake's Cakes
Just a mini-Drake's Cake cookbook for all you Drake-a-holics! I worked for the company years back and I have to admit (and not because I worked for them) that their products far exceeded Hostess! Their cakes are moist and their fillings are creamier! Some products are either discontinued or not in all areas. But we can still enjoy Drake's Cakes at home.

For 120 years Drake's has been making delicious cakes. From their famous pound cakes, to Devil Dogs, to Yankee Doodles, to Coffee Cakes, to Ring Dings, to Funny Bones, to Yodels, to Fruit Pies, and now Drake's Zoinks! - this company makes them all. There's only one Drake's Coffee Cake. Classic round Drake's coffee cake topped with plenty of sweet, cinnamon-flavored streusel - moist and delicious. Launched in 1930, and sold for 15 cents - these coffee cakes became a big hit. Now you can make them in your own home.

I know I am old and have been around for quite some time - but unfortunately - I wasn't around back in 1896 when Newman Drake opened the N.E. Drake Baking Company on 135th Street in Harlem in New York City. He baked pound cakes of various kinds, which quickly became a local favorite. But I will share with you (at the very end) an old pound cake recipe handed down in my family from the late 1890's. It's been re-written from an old scrap of yellowed paper that has fallen apart - but the recipe was saved.

HAPPY BAKING!


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire